|Just hanging in my library!|
I haven't always been a bookworm extraordinaire. There was a time when I was younger (I don't actually remember this time, but my mom assures me it exists) when I didn't read a lot. I read some books (mostly Wishbone and The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley), but I never sought out any other books on my own. However, that all changed when I read along to Jim Dale's audiobooks of Harry Potter (I read along with the audiobooks because my mom thought it would be easier for me, at such a young age, to get a better handle on reading if I saw the words as they were being read to me because they were beyond my skill level). Like most kids in my generation reading Harry Potter opened my eyes to literature. Since then I have been trying to fill the hole Harry left in my heart. I tell you this because to understand me you have to know about my passion for that heroic black-haired, skinny wizard with glasses and a lightning scar. So many things about me have stem from my love of JK Rowling's amazing novels: my acceptance of having glasses, my understanding of the world, my perpetual lack of money due to my never ending search for merchandise and first editions, my ability to love myself for who I am and love the people around me, and of course my love of books specifically children's literature.
I graduated in 2010 from Hutch Tech High School with a diploma in Biochem (which was quite hard to get because during that time I realized that I apparently have a mysterious block on my mind that leads to my general misunderstanding of chemistry no matter how simply its explained to me). I am currently an English Major with a Minor in American History at Buffalo State College! Most people when I tell them this ask if I want to be a teacher. The answer is NO. I'm the wrong person for that job.
I currently work as a Senior Page in the Stacks department of my local library. I love my job, but I will not be there forever. After I graduate I plan to take a year off (while my best friends finish their degrees) and work at the library. However, I plan to backpack across Europe in the summer of 2015! After I traipse around Europe searching for the cities I've only read and dreamed about, I have no idea what I want to do. For the longest time I just assumed that I would move to New York City (or as close to the City as I can get and still be able to use public transportation) because that is where the publishing houses are and where my favorite authors always have their signings. Maybe when I'm in London I'll like it so much there that I'll stay, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what I'll do once I settle down somewhere either. I either want to be a librarian, archivist, literary agent, bookshop owner, a developmental editor, or a writer. As long as I am working with books I will be happy.
- When I first started this blog I actually used a pseudonym: Rory Wilson! That is why on my older blogs I signed off as Rory, it's an homage to Rory Gilmore of the Gilmore Girls, and the last name Wilson is taken from Grant Wilson from TAPS, of SyFy's Ghost Hunters fame! Don't laugh, he's my favorite and when I originally thought of the name I was playing some Ghost Game and we needed an alias. Grant was the first person to come to mind.
- I collect Bookmarks! I'm actually trying to break the world record (which is like 90,000 something, I have close to 500). So if you would like to help promote your book/ help me with my goal I will gladly accept bookmarks! (You will receive my never ending gratitude and love if you so, no lie.)
- I have my own personal library! As in I have a room in my house that has all my books on shelves in an orderly system! As of right now it has a number of sections: Young Adult, Fiction, Children's, Oversized Children's, Biography, Dictionary, History, Literary Criticism, Anthologies, Oversized Non-Fiction, Travel, Arthurian, Annotated (by me), and coming soon a whole shelf devoted to Harry Potter as soon as I get more shelves! You can see a bit of the Young Adult section behind me in the photo up there (in the picture, by the way, I am holding some of my anthologies)!
- I have over 1000 books (last time I counted). That is the count of JUST MY BOOKS. My parents keep their books downstairs and I've never counted theirs. There is no room in my library for theirs so their books are, well, everywhere else. My house has a lot of books, just so many books. I am drowning in books and I still need more.
- I want to travel the world. And by world I mean at least the United States, Europe, and Australia. I WILL TRAVEL THERE. And, God willing, I have enough time and money I will travel the rest of the world as well. I figured I should start small with just 3 big hunks of earth instead of the whole thing right away.
- I have a thing for famous graves. Besides the legacies they left behind, graves are the only thing we have of the famous of history. I'd like to try to get pictures near all of my favorite dead author's graves.
- email me at Littlewood10@aol.com
- visit Bookworm Extraordinaire's Facebook page
- follow me on Twitter
Thank you so much for your support. I couldn't have made this Bookworm Extraordinaire the blog it is today without you.