Thoughts from Places: My Fourth Teen Book Festival in Rochester!

Sunday, May 20, 2018

| | |
This was my fourth time going to Rochester's Teen Book Festival! This amazing event that brings authors and readers together from all over the country is pretty unique! First of all it is free, which is amazing. Teens all over fund raise to keep it that way all year long and it makes it so incredibly special. Another reason it is so special was Stephanie Squicciarini, the founder of TBF. She passed away earlier this year and is truly missed, but I think everyone could feel her there though. She put so much time and effort into making the festival as amazing as it is. She put everything she had into it and would do some really crazy things to raise funds (my favorites were dying her hair into a rainbow of colors and wearing a prom dress)! This year during the opening ceremony they did a wonderful 13 second cheer to honor her and the 13th TBF and I have got to be honest I was pretty much sobbing while I yelled my heart out. I had met her a couple times in passing throughout the years. I remember thanking her once for creating such fantastic event and she was so happy to hear that I enjoyed it. Stephanie was a truly remarkable woman and I hope TBF goes on in her memory for many, many years to come.


This year I was incredibly excited to go with two TBF newbies! I went with my friends, Allison and Katie. Rochester is a couple hours away from us so we had to leave pretty much at dawn to get there and had a great ride catching up (we've not seen each other in a while) and singing to Disney songs!
The Authors show off their fan made capes!

Most of the big events at TBF take place in the Nazareth College's Gym, including the opening ceremony with the annual game show hosted by Charles Benoit, most of the signings, the door prizes, TBF Shop, and the books that BN sells! This year all the authors had handmade TBF capes and played two facts and a fiction (which for some reason was really hard for them)! It's a great way to kick off the day!

One of the other great things that makes TBF special is that teens are 100% the focus. Teens volunteer during it, make the designs for the t-shirts and the program, have their own panel of teen authors, and most importantly they have priority seating at the panels! Usually every year there is at least one of my favorite Young Adult authors that I must meet. This year was different as it was Allison's favorite, Tamora Pierce, that we were determined to make seeing her panel with Bruce Coville a priority. So that was our first stop after the game show, but we couldn't get in as there were so many teens! Which is of course a great problem to have at a teen festival!

Roshani Chokshi and Claire Legrand during
their panel in the Chapel!
We decided that we would try again for Tammy and Bruce's next panel and went to see Roshani Chokshi and Claire Legrand! I am so glad we did because the two of them were hilarious! They were fantastic together and I truly believe that they should write a book together because it would be the funniest and creepiest thing I have ever read. Both authors talked about ideas for books that they have had that are horrible and honestly I think it made everyone feel better, because not every idea is good. They chatted about Hogwarts houses and their patronuses (Roshani is pure Slytherin with a shrew and Claire is a RavenPuff like me with an ocelot)! At one point, Roshani mentioned that her daemon would be a crow because she once almost fell off a cliff looking at a shiny shell! I also loved their advice about writing: finishing a story is the hardest thing so find the stamina to just see everything to the end and then decide how you feel about it!

By the end of that first session the three of us were starving so we headed out to see what food trucks had come! Katie and I had great poutine and Allison had some pretty good burgers! Once fed, we made our way back to see if we could get into the Tamora Pierce and Bruce Coville panel and this time we were lucky enough to be able to sit on the floor on the side of the room! Tamora and Bruce are best friends and critique partners and you can tell! They are amazing together! Allison has been telling me for years that I need to read one of Tammy's books and when I finally did in preparation for TBF I was so glad I did (I read Alanna, by the way)! Allison has every right to tell me “I told you so” because Tamora is beyond words. She is in her 60s and her health isn't the greatest but oh my gosh does that woman have spirit! She is hilarious and her friendship with Bruce is fabulous. At one point she warned a reader, “don't start with him. He will challenge you to a duel” over the proper color of a unicorn (white, obviously). They are both such characters themselves that it is no wonder that scores of people around the Globe absolutely adore them and their books! They, too, gave brilliant advice, such as always drawing a map of your setting no matter how big or small, get a partner that is honestly straight with you, and when you are stuck for an idea go back to those obsessions you had as a kid because your brain was obviously doing research when you didn't even realize it!
Bruce Coville and Tamora Pierce during their
talk! 

After experiencing Tamora and Bruce, the three of us headed to a different building to hear Jennifer Castle speak. All day I had been telling Katie and Allison about how much I enjoyed her book, Together at Midnight! After hearing her talk about it and how it is about random acts of kindness they both were sold on reading it which made me so happy! Jennifer told us about how she has a key word that sums up each of her novels and how she is always thinking about “What if” to think of plots.

Then it was the big moment! The time for meeting the authors and getting autographs. After 4 festivals I have mastered how to maximize the Authors I am able to meet and the key is having a friend with you. One of you stands in the longest line while the other goes into shorter lines and then you switch! I also do not own books for all the authors I want to meet as I read a lot of books from the library, but I always have something for them to sign! A little known fact of TBF is that their website has downloadable posters of the authors that can be printed! I always do this and all the authors are always so surprised and excited! Authors I met this year include (asterisk indicates book signed instead of poster) :

Margaret Peterson Haddix signs my copy of
The Palace of Mirrors!
Jennifer Castle*
Roshani Chokshi
Bruce Coville
Margaret Peterson Haddix*
Rachel Hartman
Justina Ireland
Brigid Kemmerer*
Brendan Kiely
Alisa Kwitney
Claire Legrand*
Taran Matharu
Dana Mele
Tamora Pierce*

A question I often get is what I talk to the authors about! Well, usually I start off my telling them that it is an honor to meet them. I never forget how lucky I am to be able to have such a cool and unique experience. Before they sign or sometimes during I tell them about bits and pieces of their books that I loved! I told Claire Legrand how much I loved her ghosts in The Year of Shadows and how original they were! I mentioned to Roshani Chokshi that I loved that she mixed Hindu Mythology with Hades and Persephone legends in The Star-Touched Queen! And to Jennifer Castle, I started to cry because of how much I loved how well she wrote about kindness in her novel, Together at Midnight!
Allison and Katie meeting Tamora Pierce!
I think my favorite part of the day though was seeing Allison interact with her heroine, Tamora Pierce! I was so excited and happy for her that I almost couldn't contain it! In fact I basically didn't, as I think I talked to Tammy more about how excited about Allison talking to her than I said how much I was glad to meet her!

Teen Book Festival in Rochester is without a doubt the best book event in the World. Everyone who has been agrees. I am fortunate that I live so close and am able to go so often! I completely recommend going! Keep an eye out on my Signings page for more in depth descriptions of meeting the authors listed above as well as more photos of me with them!! They will be posted shortly!


~Laura!

0 comments: