Review: Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto

Thursday, May 30, 2019

| | |

Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto


Publisher & Release Date: Ink Road (Owlcrate Exclusive Edition), Feb. 2019
Type: YA Fantasy (486 pages)
Series: Book One of Crown of Feathers

Summary: I had a sister, once…
In a world ruled by fierce warrior queens, a grand empire was built upon the backs of Phoenix Riders—legendary heroes who soared through the sky on wings of fire—until a war between two sisters ripped it all apart.
I promised her the throne would not come between us.
Sixteen years later, Veronyka is a war orphan who dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider from the stories of old. After a shocking betrayal from her controlling sister, Veronyka strikes out alone to find the Riders—even if that means disguising herself as a boy to join their ranks.
But it is a fact of life that one must kill or be killed. Rule or be ruled.
Just as Veronyka finally feels like she belongs, her sister turns up and reveals a tangled web of lies between them that will change everything. And meanwhile, the new empire has learned of the Riders’ return and intends to destroy them once and for all.
Sometimes the title of queen is given. Sometimes it must be taken.




My Review:

Crown of Feathers is an absolutely wonderful fantasy debut that I am becoming rapidly obsessed with. I will be recommending this book for years to come! I really enjoyed it!

I'm not gonna lie it had a slow start. There was some action early on and then a lot of history and exposition. The history of the world is weaved in along with Veronyka's back story as she gets to where she needs to be. At first it seemed to bog down the action because even early on I was invested with the action that was occurring, but rest assured it is all necessary and fascinating! I promise that it does pick up and once it does you won't be putting this tome down!

One of the things I love most about Crown of Feathers is that it has multiple, third person point of view chapters from a few different characters. It was a great choice on Pau Preto's part to write the novel like this because it allows the reader to know more than any of the characters at any given time. The reader becomes so incredibly invested in Veronyka, Tristan, and Sev as we try to guess how and when they will interact if ever. Each of these characters are rich with detail and I want to know them all in real life! Especially Veronyka, who has so much to offer readers by teaching subtly about inner strength and being yourself.

And of course I can't forget about the true selling point of this novel, the phoenixes that are rode into battle! I got this book through Owlcrate. The only thing I knew about this book was these phoenixes which is why I ordered my first subscription box! If you're a long time follower of my blog you know that I love animals and work closely with wildlife. This book is close to my heart because of the idea of animages, people who can communicate with not just phoenixes, but all animals. I want this gift so badly it stings. It touches on so many important ethics surrounding animals that are completely relevant today!

If it isn't obvious, I can't get enough of this book. I cannot wait to dive into the sequel. Nicki Pau Preto is an incredible writer and I can't wait to see where she goes next!


~Laura!

0 comments: