Review: Beyond the Grave by Mara Purnhagen

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

| | |

Author: Mara Purnhagen


Release Date: August 30th, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Source: ebook from Publisher via Netgalley
Series: Past Midnight (#3)
Other Titles in the Series: Past Midnight (#1), One Hundred Candles (#2)
Summary (goodreads.com): I can’t move forward with my life until I know my demons are confined to the past...
Being Charlotte Silver, the daughter of famous paranormal investigators, means my life isn’t like that of other teenage girls. Especially after what happened to my parents. Things changed. I missed prom and deferred my big college plans. But I still have my boyfriend, Noah. He’s everything I could want—if I can figure out what’s up with him. Suddenly Noah is secretive.
I fear it has something to do with what happened to us three months ago. The bruise Noah suffered during a paranormal attack has never completely faded. Now I’ve learned Noah is researching demons. And when he disappears, it’s up to me to find him—before something else does.


My Review:
This book wasn’t as scary as its predecessors. I think that is why I liked it a bit less than the other ones even though I understood why it had to be calmer. This is the end of this series and so things needed to be wrapped up, there isn’t a cliff hanger ending that needed to be built up and so we got a less scary but still brilliant novel. Don’t get me wrong though, Charlotte’s narration is still quote foreboding and creepy at times to fit with the melancholy mood that was established in the other books, to me, there weren’t as many instances where I was scared out of my mind like in the previous two. All the familiar characters are back and better than ever, as well. I can’t really say too much more without spoiling the book (which would be quite a shame), so let’s just say that I am pleased with how this book wrapped up this brilliant series. If you haven’t yet read previous two Past Midnight books I encourage you to do so, you won’t be sorry!


0 comments: