Review: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

Monday, April 15, 2013

| | |
Author: Chris Colfer

Release Date: July 17th, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers
Age Group: Middle Grade
Pages: 438
Source: Bought
Series: Land of Stories (#1)

Summary (goodreads.com): Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.
"The Land of Stories" tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.
But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.


My Review:
I was pleasantly surprised by this although I don't know why. I should have had more faith. This really was quite a spectacular and original take on fairy tales. I could tell that Colfer respected the tales and wanted to convey that in his story. All the characters were fleshed out and I loved them all even the "evil" characters that I grew up despising. Colfer showed that even the dark characters have a motive based in light. The twins (main characters) were entertaining, enlightening and even a little bit daring. This is the kind of story I love. I love when the characters meet the characters in their own favorite books just like I would love to. It connects me as a reader to the character in ways that are unique to this experience. Colfer painted the Land of Stories vibrantly with his words and gave his characters a magnificent depth. I look forward to reading more books by him. 


~Talk Less,
Read More,
Laura!

1 comments:

estetik said...

This really was quite a spectacular and original take on fairy tales...