Thoughts From Places: Corning, NY (2008)

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

| | |

My Trip to Corning, NY


Over Memorial Day Weekend in 2008, my mom and I went took a mini-roadtrip to Corning, NY to see the Corning Museum of Glass.

The Corning Museum of Glass was one of the coolest museums I have ever been to. This may sound dumb but I didn’t expect there to be THAT MUCH glass. It was everywhere. There were glass sculptures, glass toys, glass art work, glass painting, glass floors, glass to buy, glass to make, glass to look at, glass to touch. SO MUCH GLASS.  I learned so much about the history of glass, I didn’t know glass was so important or so old. One of the best things about the museum was how interactive it was. I didn’t go to any of the glass making shows because we always seemed to just miss them, but they looked like so much fun (maybe next time).

“Fern Green Tower” by Dale Chihuly. 
I like this because of how unique it is. 
My favorite pieces of art at the Museum are the ones pictured. 
“It’s Raining Knives” by Silvia Levenson
 because it’s very dramatic. It screams LOOK AT ME! 
















The “Mosaic Portrait of Theodore Roosevelt” by Salviati.
I love this one because it combines
 my fascination with both mosaics and TR
The “Evening Dress with Shawl” by Karen LaMonte
because it is just breathtakingly beautiful.














After the museum we went into town and just window shopped. Have you ever been window shopping? It is one of my favorite things to do. I love going into tiny, locally owned shops and seeing what they have to offer. We also had a fantastic lunch at this little place called Donna’s. The whole town had a small town atmosphere about it and it was amazing.

My Trip to Corning was the first time I had gone anywhere with my mom and I had so much fun. I love my mom, she is the Lorelai to my Rory Gilmore, you couldn’t ask for a better or cooler mom than mine. I really hope we get to go another roadtrip soon. I love taking car rides with my mom, I don’t know why but it is. 
~Laura!

0 comments: