Thoughts From Places Spotlight: Ashland, Ohio (2014)

Friday, October 24, 2014

| | |

My Pit Stop at Grandpa’s Cheesebarn 

and Sweeties Jumbo Chocolates of Ashland, Ohio!

The outside of the Cheesebarn.

Me outside of Grandpa's Cheesebarn.
I have always been fascinated by old fashioned American road trips. The idea of picking a place to go, driving there, and when a billboard for a place off the highway catches your eye you can just stop and explore it for an hour or two. Grandpa’s Cheesebarn was one of those spontaneous pit stops on the way home from Columbus. The name of the place was so crazy and the promise of cheese, fudge, smoked meats, and gifts so inviting that Jessica and I just had to go.

Just some of the cheeses at Grandpa's.
I think that the decision to stop at Grandpa’s Cheesebarn will become one of the greatest decisions of my life. It is called a cheesebarn for a reason. I have never seen so much cheese. I have never TASTED so much cheese; because that is the best thing about Grandpa’s Cheesebarn they have samples of EVERYTHING they sell. I tried 30 distinctly different cheeses (I bought the smoked English cheddar), a few kinds of jerky, jams, dips, ciders, BBQ sauces, syrups, and popcorn. It was overwhelming and fantastic. It can only be described as a cheese lovers’ dream.

A sample of some of the chocolates at Sweeties.
Across the parking lot there was another building called Sweeties Jumbo Chocolates: a very dangerous place for anyone with a sweet tooth. They had homemade chocolate pizzas, nut clusters, creamed candy, and chocolate cups of every kind. They also had a large variety of homemade fudge as well. My favorite was the cherry cordial chocolate fudge that really did taste like a giant cherry cordial. The woman behind the counter was also very nice. She was very interested and amazed at our story, especially the idea of driving five hours for a bookstore and the tale of the giant cream puff of Schmidt’s.

Read more of my spontaneous Ohio adventure here
~Laura!


0 comments: