Review: Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

Monday, September 4, 2017

| | |

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel


Release Date: September 5th, 2017
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre: YA Contemporary Paranormal Fantasy
Pages: 300

Summary: A simple but forgotten truth: Where harbingers of death appear, the morgues will soon be full. Angie Dovage can tell there’s more to Reece Fernandez than just the tall, brooding athlete who has her classmates swooning, but she can’t imagine his presence signals a tragedy that will devastate her small town. When something supernatural tries to attack her, Angie is thrown into a battle between good and evil she never saw coming. Right in the center of it is Reece—and he’s not human. What's more, she knows something most don't. That the secrets her town holds could kill them all. But that’s only half as dangerous as falling in love with a harbinger of death.

Review: 
When I went to Book Con in June this was one of the titles I knew I had to try to get an ARC of. After waiting in line for seemingly ages I was successful! But not only did I receive a copy, I met the author and got it signed! Meg Kassel is so kind and enthusiastic about meeting her readers! I was also pleased to be the first fan to ever ask her for a photo! I started reading the book as soon as I got to the bus stop back to Buffalo! I sat in the rain under an umbrella for hours waiting for the night bus that would take me the 8 hours back and once the bus finally came I continued reading well into the night. I couldn't put it down!

Meg Kassel and I at Book Con in 2017

Black Bird of the Gallows was truly an original read and incredibly well researched! Kassel did an amazing job describing the mythology around death and its relationship to both crows and bees! The reason I was so keen to get my hands on Kassel's book was actually due to my fascination with crows! They are both the birds I see most often around my home and the birds I know most about. Crows are amazing birds. They are among the smartest, they recognize human faces, and remember when they have been wronged. I also happen to work closely with these birds in my day to day life as a wildlife rehabilitator and Kassel's crows were true to life (I mean, except for the paranormal aspects, of course). And then the enemy, the beekeepers. Not many people are familiar with the myths surrounding bees and I was beyond pleased and impressed that they were included. Bees and Crows! Could there be a better combination in a book about the harbingers of death? I think not!

This is not part of a series. No, it is a standalone book, which makes it rare in the world of trilogies and I find that it is better for it. Kassel was able to create an entire world within the confines of one book and not many can achieve that even half as well as she did. The plot is vivid and grand, with all the points one hopes to see from daily life to edge of your seat apocalyptic action! The novel is perfectly paced, thrilling, funny, romantic, and never dull. I felt at home in Angie's life, even with the battle between good and evil occurring.

Speaking of Angie, she is a wonderfully authentic character, with hopes and anxieties that every reader with recognize in themselves. As are the people who populate her life! There wasn't any character in the novel that didn't pop of the page. Her friends, family, even her enemies don't just fill up the pages, but have a purpose.


Black Bird of the Gallows is a fantastic read, one that I will be sure to re-read many times over! I can't wait to read more by Meg Kassel! I would like to thank both her and Entangled Publishing for an amazing Book Con experience!

~Laura!

0 comments: