Book Launch with Nicki Pau Preto and Joanna Hathaway!

Sunday, February 16, 2020

| | |

Nicki and Joanna!

 Yesterday I had the great pleasure of going up to Niagara on the Lake Public Library to the Launch Event for Nicki Pau Preto's Heart of Flames and Joanna Hathaway's Storm from the East! The journey to go the 40 miles from my house to the Library was a trek (because nothing is ever simple for me). I look a local bus downtown, caught a special bus up to Niagara Falls, walked across the Canadian Border via the Rainbow Bridge, and took my first ever Uber ride! It took 3 hours and I was frozen (I don't know how I forgot that it is always 20 degrees colder near the falls. Almost like I haven't lived here for 27 years...), but it was 100% worth the adventure!


The launch was held in an intimate meeting room, decorated with tons of paintings by local artists, several of which I would have bought in a heartbeat if I had money. I was the first to arrive and was able to grab a seat off to the side in the front row! The authors got lovely personalized book mugs from the library and the head of the teen programming facilitated the event! Fellow First Rider Raven also asked questions from Bookstagram through a livestream!

Nicki and Joanna talked about their publishing journeys. I was surprised to find out that Nicki's first agent actually dropped her because they claimed that “YA Fantasy is dead.” HA! As if! It is still one of the most popular genres around today! Nicki had always had the dream of publishing whereas it was never a true goal of Joanna's, who originally wrote for the fun of it! She was pushed by her writing group to enter a contest. A contest that she won and gained an agent through!

Both authors also addressed their worst and best parts of the journey. For Nicki, it was being dropped
by the first agent, but Joanna apparently had a truly terrible cover for her debut Dark of the West. The best thing about her publishing journey was that they got rid of that cover! (I'm intensely curious about this cover now! Joanna if you're reading this please send it to my IG!! I promise I will keep it a secret!) Nicki's dream goal of having the subscription box Owlcrate choose her book and in February 2019 that was realized and it still startles her that she got that lucky. Both Nicki and Joanna agreed that their favorite parts had just been extreme good luck!

A big part of writing fantasy is reigning in the detail when worldbuilding. Joanna Hathaway is a huge history nerd and kept trying to add more history to her books, which are fantasy based on the world wars. At one point she was told off by her editior for having a long paragraph on the differences between a Spitfire plane and a Seafire plane! “It's a fantasy world, Joanna! The Spitfire can do what the Seafire does if you need it to!!” oops! She would also become fixated with making sure the speeds of the planes were accurate, like how much sea would they cover, going at what pace, until she got so fed up she threw up her hands and declared that her imaginary spitseafire planes could just
Nicki Pau Preto and I!
move faster!!

Nicki Pau Preto also felt this type of pressure while writing Heart of Flames. She laughed, “My map doesn't match what's in my head and what I wrote in the first book before I got a map, so I'm really confused generally when trying to figure out distances now. I was googling eagle flights and doing the math. Finally I gave up and just did whatever worked with the plot.” Nicki invented things and then had to cut it. Joanna was drawing on history whereas Nicki was just doing all this to herself! She became committed to the depth of the novels and their dense history of her made up world after her editor kept saying “MORE MORE,” so basically she blames Sarah Macabe at Simon Pulse! (Joanna was clearly jealous and she would love to run wild with details!!)

A startling revelation came when asked what inspired the authors to write about their topics. It turns out that Nicki originally wanted to write about dragons, but felt with the popularity of Game of Thrones that the market would be overrun so she chose Phoenixes despite being afraid of birds! She isn't afraid of her phoenixes though, it is almost therapeutic to write about them now! It was also quite interesting to learn that Joanna chose to write about wars due to her love of history (something we have in common)!

Both authors write from multiple perspectives in their novels. Nicki has 5 POVs in Heart of Flames and said that “keeping [them] in order was challenging. It was like writing five different books, since all of the characters have to have a story and intercut!” She laughed a laugh of someone incredibly stressed out about her life choices and sighed, “I don't recommend it!”

I was fascinated to learn that one of the original two agents that offered to take up Dark of the West told Joanna that the book would be better if it didn't have the pilot, but just the princess. Since the book is told equally through Athan the pilot's and Aurelia's points of view it is alarming to think of what the books could have been. I can't speak for all readers, but I for one am so glad Joanna kept the story true to her history nerd loving self and kept Athan in. The pilot aspect is what makes her books stand out so wonderfully from the crowd!
Joanna Hathaway and I!

One of the most lovely lessons I think the authors stressed at this event was that you have to be true to the story you want to tell even when you have to sacrifice some things when you are published. Be true to what you want the story to be and trust what you're doing because it always first and foremost still has to be good to you, otherwise why are you working so hard! This especially came up when Nicki and Joanna were discussing how different it was to write one's first book vs the rest of a trilogy after the first novel is out and being consumed by the public. They agreed that writing the first book in isolation was a great help to figuring out what the story needed to be, even if you have to “write it wrong first” as Nicki said. But when it came to writing the second book they agreed there is more pressure when knowing there is an audience out there. Joanna said that she has to be careful not to be influenced by her readers even though it now “feels like a partnership. I don't want to do something so out of left field that it won't be satisfying any long because [reader and writer] are in this together now!” Nicki mentioned that as she writes the third and final book in the Crown of Feathers trilogy she is getting real time reaction from readers as they devour Heart of Flames, the second novel that was just released. At one point she found herself assuring a reader that the next books would indeed have more of the romance that readers were eager for only to realize later that she had actually cut a lot of it out! Joanna was also startled by how some readers were gunning for the long desired relationship in her books to pan out further and was worried because her characters actually won't see each other again for a large chunk of book two! The point of all of this was to reiterate that books as they are being written belong to the authors that created them. If their vision isn't fulfilled the book is kind of a moot point. I truly loved this message from them because it isn't often expressed or understood by demanding readers.

At the end of the event I asked the question that had most been on my mind while reading the Crown of Feather books and that is about Nicki's process of writing the historical documents that are scattered throughout the books and the epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter. It turns out that while working on her first book, her editor suggested adding in the documents as a way of cutting out some of the larger world building paragraphs. Now since they are expected as part of the format of
Joanna and Nicki with their readers!
her books Nicki jots down ideas for them, things she finds interesting or little tidbits that she wrote down already for herself to keep the world straight and writes them all up at the very end! She is always making up more history and always adding more to her boos to flesh them out as much as she can. She knew each chapter would begin each chapter from the very beginning, but she cannot actually write them until she knows around how many chapters the book will actually have so she is always thinking about them but not quite writing them until halfway through or so.

All of this was absolutely amazing to hear live from the authors directly! It is such a fun and lucky thing to be able to spend an afternoon and actually talk to the people who brought worlds to life on the page. After the event, the authors held a signing of their books. I hung back so that almost everyone else who attended had gone ahead so that I could spend more time with Nicki and Joanna (because I am selfish like that). It was well worth the wait! It was a pleasure meeting them both! (I actually gushed to both of them on Instagram when I posted these photos on my account @bookwormextraordinaire). I felt like I already knew Nicki through the internet so it was particularly awesome to meet her and be able to talk about the First Riders in person! And oh my gosh, Joanna was an a sweetheart! She even had me message her when I got home to make sure I arrived safely. These two ladies are as lovely as they are talented and it was truly worth the trek I made to meet them!


~Laura!
PS here is a photo of a very frozen Laura posing on the Rainbow Bridge near Niagara Falls with my books!


0 comments: