Bulk Review: Feeling Angelic? (Fallen, Hush,Hush and Coffeehouse Angel)

Sunday, May 9, 2010

| | |

Welcome!
Lately, I’ve been reading what I like to call ‘Angel Books’. Ive decided to do a bulk review of Fallen, Hush, Hush, and Coffeehouse Angel. The latter is rather lighter in topic than the formers are. However, they are all equally angelic. :)



Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate

Summary (from B&N.com/book sleeve): Seventeen-Year-Old Luce is a new student at Sword & Cross, an unwelcoming boarding/reform school in Savannah, Georgia. Luce’s boyfriend died under suspicious circumstances, and now she carries the guilt over his death with her as she navigates the unfriendly halls at Sword & Cross, WHERE every student seems to have an unpleasant—even evil—history.

It’s only when she sees Daniel, a gorgeous fellow student, that Luce feels there’s a reason to be here—though she doesn’t know what it is. And Daniel’s frosty cold demeanor toward her? It’s really a protective device that he’s used again . . . and again. For Daniel is a fallen angel, doomed to fall in love with the same girl every 17 years . . . and watch her die. And Luce is a fellow immortal, cursed to be reincarnated again and again as a mortal girl who has no idea of who she really is.


My Review: Fallen wasn’t what I expected. I had heard the hype and had to check it out. Let’s just say I’m not eagerly awaiting the squeal, but I will read it when ever I can get it at my library. I found this book extraordinarily hard to follow at times. For some reason theres these shadow type things that follow Luce around and those shadows confused me. The plot between Daniel and Luce was kind of unoriginal. Boy’s immortal, loves girl over and over again because she’s been reincarnated a million or so times. It just got old. The setting was cool though, it was a nice change being in a old reform school. It was just the characters that needed work. (The cover is beautiful though).





Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Summary (from B&N.com/book sleeve): For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

My Review: Um…A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I immediately fell for Patch. He is reminiscent of Gilmore Girls’ Jess Mariano, adorable, bad boy who its really hard not to love. I have nothing bad to say about this book, except that it ended and the sequel isn’t out yet. I like the way it’s written, in first person so you only know what Nora knows, but it is fun to try to figure out what Patch’s agenda is. It's completely different from anything I’ve read this year. I highly recommend it. Especially if you feel the need to be swept up in someone else’s adventure.



Title: Coffeehouse Angel
Author: Suzanne Selfors

Summary (from book sleeve): When Katrina spots a homeless guy sleeping in the alley behind her grandmother's coffee shop, she leaves him a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans, and some pastries to tide him over, never expecting this random act of kindness to turn her life upside down. The adorable vagrant, Malcolm, is actually a guardian angel on a break between missions, and now he won't leave until he can reward Katrina's selflessness by fulfilling her deepest desire. Fame and fortune seem like the obvious requests, but after two botched wishes, Malcolm knows Katrina is hiding something from him. But how can she tell him the truth, when her heart's desire has become Malcolm himself?


My Review: HALLELUJAH! I adore this book! Malcolm, the angel in this book is super sweet and funny and I want a Malcolm of my own. It's also refreshing to see a Girl/Guy best friendship where they are really just friends, like that of Katrina and Vincent. The plot is so real that you forget that Malcolm is an angel. I felt as if I could really relate to Katrina and I love that in a story. I honestly don’t want to write anymore so I don’t give anything up. So, just read this! You will not be sorry.



1 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm going to have to look for the last two books on that review list there.