Review: Evernight by Claudia Gray

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

| | |

Hi!

Just finished this book about five minutes ago and I wanted to review it while its still fresh in my mind!

Title: Evernight
Author: Claudia Gray

Summary (B&N.com): Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.


My Review: I feel like I was backstabbed by this book! There are twists, then there are turns, then there are twists AND turns within a book. Then there’s EVERNIGHT and that’s not a good thing. How hard is it to keep a book on one maybe two tracks?! There are so many twists and turns and flips and stuff that if it was a roller coaster, a month’s worth of food would have been thrown up! That’s how long it took me to finish this book. At 327 pages I only started to really like it at page 319 and that’s the only reason I am not completely going to dismiss this book. Now that all the huge twists and turns have been revealed, I’m convinced that the next book in the Evernight series will be better. I liked the characters, but the plot of Evernight needed a lot of work. I like to know what sort of fantasy book I’m reading, whether it's witches, fairies or in this case Vampires. I have never been a complete fan of them. I read them sure, but I would rather know I’m about to and have the option to turn it down. There are a lot of vampire books that I just don’t feel the need to read. And if I had known that this was one of those vampire books, I probably would have put it right back. I do admire Gray’s ability to hide the vampires for a large chunk of the book though…I definitely hadn’t seen it coming. One of the very good parts of this book was one of the supporting characters, Vic. He had a free lancing surfer dude attitude that was just so out of place at the dark, gloomy Evernight boarding school that it made the whole entire book work despite the crazy plot. Over all, I will check out the next book in the series but I wouldn’t recommend it if you want a steady read.

0 comments: