Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

| | |

Hi!

When this book first came out I saw a lot of stuff about it on blogger and decided to check it out.

Title: Sea Change
Author: Aimee Friedman

Summary (B&N.com): Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.
There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.
Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?


My Review: The Little Mermaid has been my favorite Disney movie for as long as I can remember, when I was younger everything I did somehow related to mermaids…my favorite color is green, because that was the color of Ariel the mermaid’s tail (ironically, my very best friend’s name is Ariel, however she hates mermaids with a fiery passion and it's probably because of that movie). Upon reading Sea Change I realized that beside The Little Mermaid and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I had never read a book about merpeople, despite my love for them and I have not idea why. So this book was a really big treat for me!

You may not know this, but I majored in Biochemistry in High School and because of that fact I hate Science, I am a full on Fantasy girl one hundred percent (I’m going to be an English Major in college this fall). So for the main character, Miranda to be a science girl shook me a bit. If I was going to a place with so much Lore I’d lose my mind with excitement! I would not try to explain everything away like Miranda did, but I would lap it up with a spoon. Miranda’s disdain for Literature also bugs me. There’s a quote from Shakespeare’s The Tempest and upon learning that the main character of Sea Change’s name is Miranda I immediately saw the connection between the two (Miranda is, by the way a character in the Tempest). I thought that I couldn’t possibly like a character who was essentially the complete opposite of everything I am…I was wrong. I really liked this book, I couldn’t put it down. The characters and the plot were so original! It was interesting seeing the American South from a “Yankee’s” point of view…me being a Yankee myself thought all of it was pretty cool and completely weird. I’m glad I checked this book out... the wait was worth it! I think everyone, merpeople lovers or not should read this book!

0 comments: