Review: Zombies Vs. Unicorn edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

Friday, November 5, 2010

| | |

Hi!

Which side are YOU on?

Title: Zombies Vs. Unicorns
Author(s): Since this is an Anthology there are many authors, but Team Unicorn was edited by Holly Black and Team Zombie was edited by Justine Larbalestier

Summary (B&N.com): It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths—for good and evil—of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?


My Review: I am Team….UNICORN!

I’m Biased, so sue me. I have always loved unicorns. There are unicorns hidden all over my room. I’m also team unicorn because I thought that Justine Larbalestier of team zombie was rude. She was always putting Holly Black and team unicorn down (it was more than just a competition because Holly didn’t retort as harshly). It just bugged me. Another reason I am team unicorn is because the only story I really laughed at was a unicorn story (“Purity Test“ by Noami Novik).

Because this is my first review of an Anthology, I’m going to rate the book by each story.

Team Unicorn Edited by Holly Black:
“The Highest Justice” by Garth Nix- 3 Hearts
“Purity Test“ by Noami Novik- 5 Hearts
“A Thousand Flowers” by Margo Lanagan- 4 Hearts
“The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn” by Diana Peterfreund- 5 Hearts
“Princess Prettypants” by Meg Cabot- 4 Hearts
“The Third Virgin” by Kathleen Duey- 3 Hearts
OVERALL UNICORN: 4 Hearts

Team Zombie Edited by Justine Larbalestier:
“Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Alaya Dawn Johnson- 2 Hearts
“Bougainvillea” by Carrie Ryan- 4 Hearts
“The Children of the Revolution” by Maureen Johnson- 4 Hearts
“Inoculata” by Scott Westerfeld- 2 Hearts
“Cold Hands” by Cassandra Clare- 4 Hearts
“Prom Night” by Libba Bray- 2 Hearts
OVERALL ZOMBIE: 3 Hearts

Hearts never lie! TEAM UNICORN WINS in my mind!



I really liked the book overall, it’s a great read (and as a bonus people will look at you weird when you tell them what your reading).




0 comments: