Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

| | |

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn

Release Date: October 1st, 2007
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Source: Bought then waited a lifetime for it to come after it was backordered.

Summary (goodreads.com):
I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.


My Review:
I am crazy about this book (and the movie, but more the book). I love the Beauty and the Beast tale, there are so many different versions and Beastly combines them all in an ingenious way. I liked how she stayed true to the story, but also gave it a modern feeling. It’s definitely the best retold fairy tale that I’ve ever read. I was properly annoyed at Kyle, who is so ridiculous in the way he believes the perfect people are better nonsense. And my heart bled for sweet Lindy whose life just wasn’t going the way she wanted (or how anybody would have wanted it). However, my favorite character was the tutor Will, whose wit kept the story super enjoyable. Since having read this I have lent my copy out to a couple people and they love it as much as I do.


1 comments:

Scarlette said...

Hey! This is a great review. Thanks for bringing up this novel. A few years back, I really wanted to read it but could not get my hands on a copy. Then I forgot about it. Will definitely hunt down a copy of Beastly. Keep up the great work!!
Scarlette