On Hostels

Monday, April 30, 2018

| | |
Recently I was asked about hostels and I thought it would be a good blog topic!

The first time I stayed in a hostel was in Rome during my backpacking trip in 2016. I stayed in hostels the entire time I was in Europe because I was on a budget. Hostels are the only reason I could afford going abroad for 6 weeks.

Hostels are fabulous for solo travellers because they are cheap, you meet a lot of likeminded people, and they are a great resource for things to do while you are wherever you are! But how are you supposed to choose which one? I have become a pro at hostels.

The first thing I look for is which is the cheapest hostel in the area I would like to stay in. Now, the price depends on which kind of dorm you want to stay in. I do not mind mixed dorms because they are usually cheaper, but if the female only dorm isn't too much more I choose that (mostly because I have found that guys snore way louder than girls). Size of the dorm is also a factor on the price. The largest dorm I have stayed in was a mixed 36 bed dorm in Prague (the Czech Inn. Ha, get it?) and the smallest is usually 4 beds. I've stayed in a few of those and they are pretty nice. But that 36 bed wasn't awful! It was a huge room, but had wall dividers and had 4 to 6 beds in each so it seemed smaller. (An unimportant, but amusing side note on the Czech Inn: the guy that checked me in looked like a young Orlando Bloom so it has that going for it too). I also always try to find the right hostel in a centrally located area. It doesn't always work out though so I try to make sure I can access public transport easily as well.

While in Europe the second big thing I looked for was 24 hour reception, security, and luggage storage as my arrival and departure times were so wonky. I needed to be able to check in late and needed to leave my pack some place safe on my last day in whatever city before I left. (Oh be sure to bring a lock! Try to make it TSA approved so you can also use it on your luggage! I used it a lot on lockers. I also brought a bike chain cause I'm nuts. When my pack didn't fit I would lock it to my bed. Honestly, though no one wants your dirty underwear. Just don't keep important crap in there and you'll probably be fine!)

The third thing that I had no idea to look for when I first booked all those hostels for Europe, 8 in all, was a booklight under the listed facilities. I noticed that every hostel that had a booklight usually had plugs for each bed. Plugs are so important. But remember to look under the facilities listed for things you may prioritize, too, like towels or breakfast. I also email the hostel beforehand to ask them if they assign specific beds. I do this because I am horrible with top bunks because hostels always have bunk beds, it's like a rule and if they do I ask for a bottom one. I've never been denied if they are assignable. Sometimes they are first come first serve and then I just have to pray.

Finding hostels in major European cities is easy! Finding them here in the USA has been a little tricky. They just aren't as big here. I've stayed in only 2 here so far, one in Boston and one in NYC. Finding the NYC one particularly difficult because a lot of them do not allow New York State residents which is obnoxious. Before booking a hostel you should always look to see if they have restrictions such as residency or age. I don't know what I'm gonna do when I'm older and travel. Cry probably.

Oh and always read the reviews! They are always helpful. Although take some of them with a grain of salt as people complain about the silliest and most minor things. Sometimes a hostel can look fantastic and then you read the reviews and you run away. A lot of the time with those complaints listed the hostel will reply with an apology. I think that sometimes cancels out most of the bad review because obviously if they are really paying attention to their reviews logic says they probably would have tried to help if the complaint was lodged in person instead of in a passive aggressive review weeks later.  (Oh by the way, I always use hostelworld.com. I'm not like a paid sooner or anything I just like their site).

Told you my Scottish Hostel felt like
a castle! This is a mural painted in a
staircase! 
Only once have I felt unsafe in a hostel (here's looking at you Birmingham Central Backpackers and your creepy live in people), but on the whole they are pretty great! (No, I have not seen the movie Hostel. I am not going to either. Don't worry my brother gave me all the ridiculous gritty details). My favorite hostel was Castle Rock in Edinburgh, Scotland! It was literally next to the castle and it had a castle vibe inside and was beautiful and they did your laundry and sold amazing backpacking tours (hey shoutout to Macbackpackers whoo) and so much more. I want to stay there every time I go to Edinburgh. I would be one of those live in people, but not creepily so. I just really loved that hostel. I'm almost home sick for that hostel and Edinburgh and Scotland.

Anyway, my love of the Scots aside, what I'm getting at here is that hostels are the best. Hostels don't have to be scary. They are amazing and they make cheap travel so much easier and better!

~Laura!

0 comments: