The Phantom and the Victorian Tea!

Monday, May 7, 2018

| | |
This weekend it was finally warm in Buffalo so my mom and I had some great stuff planned!  I love the first few warm spring like weekend because everyone comes out in droves! It's nice to finally see people again after a long, hard winter!

My mom and I have made it our new Mothers Day tradition to go to dinner and see a musical at Shea's every May. Last year we saw Wicked and this year it was the Phantom of the Opera. I remember my mom listening to the original cast soundtrack a lot when I was little, but I didn't remember anything about the musical except that when my Aunt saw it in Toronto the chandelier swung. It was VERY important to us that this lighting fixture moved. 

I always take a photo of my playbill in front
of the stage before it starts. 
And it did not disappoint! I think that the Phantom was the best production I have yet to see at Shea's! It had everything! Amazing sets, stunning costumes, brilliant actors, and astounding singing of course (and don't get me started on how cool the chandelier was)! I'm going to have the main theme in my head for weeks I'm sure. And just being at Shea's makes one feel *fancier* I think.  Shea's was opened in 1926 and the interior was designed by the famed Louis Comfort Tiffany (yeah, the lamp guy) and is based off of a combo of Rococo and European Baroque styles. It is truly gorgeous inside. No matter how many times I go I am always finding new details in the decor! And it always vaguely smells like those addicting cinnamon roasted nuts they sell which is just an awesome added bonus. 

Our table was definitely the prettiest! 
The next day we were also invited to a proper Ladies Victorian Tea as a fundraiser for my uncle's church! It was spectacular! It all seemed very old fashioned! My mom and I dressed in our very best with fancy hats included! I wore a lace light blue dress with a sun hat that's underside and brim had a pretty blue fabric with pink flowers on it! There were 400 diverse, amazing, beautiful women there all dressed to the nines. Each table (about 40, I think) had their own hostesses that decided on everything from the place settings, favors, tea sets, and most importantly their table's food. Every table was great but our table was obviously the best as my Aunt and cousin did a wonderful job! I have never had those tiny cucumber sandwiches before and they were surprisingly tasty. It was as if we were playing tea party for real, we even had a fancy waiter (also known as my uncle, haha)! It was a really special event that I am so glad I got to go to! 

The first weekend of May and of good weather was a whole hearted success! I'm so glad that it is nice out again! 

~Laura!

0 comments: