Review: The Graveyard Book- Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

| | |
Hey!~

Well, I finished this book last week, but I'm just posting the review now.

Title: The Graveyard Book

Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary: Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . . Beloved master storyteller Neil Gaiman returns with a luminous new novel for the audience that embraced his New York Times bestselling modern classic Coraline. Magical, terrifying, and filled with breathtaking adventures, The Graveyard Book is sure to enthrall readers of all ages.

My Review: I was so disappointed in this book. It had so much potential, I mean how many books are set in graveyards? Yeah, not many. This book was just so...boring. I found myself wandering quite a bit thinking "this would be so much better if it was filled with more [insert something cool here]." I had first heard about it on Meg Cabot's Blog in November (check it out here) She boasted that it was funny and yeah it should have been, but there was only one funny bit with the poet at the almost the very end. I trust Meg Cabot and all her advice, but this book wasn't Spectacular, it was just plain old okay. Just before I started reading it I looked up some previous reviews and it seemed everyone couldn't give it enough praise. The only impression it left on me was...jeez I hope he doesn't write anymore about him, I think I'd die. it's also supposed to be a rather haunting novel, but the only truly exciting or 'scary' part was the first ten pages or so. This book really let me down. I really thought that this would be the novel I would rave about turns out I can only rant.


If you've read this book and liked it or just wasn't in to it like me. Comment I'd love to see your Point of View!
~Read More,
Talk Less,
Rory!

(Edited on 1-2-14: Looking back at this review I find the part where I say it didn't leave an impression ironic because since I read this book in 2009 it has haunted me. One day I might reread it and re-review it but for now I'll just leave it as it is.)

0 comments: