Review: Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia by Brandon Sanderson

Thursday, June 17, 2010

| | |

Hi!
I was at the library a few weeks ago, not intending on getting any books, but I saw Alcatraz #3 and had to get it. I hadn’t even realized it had come out yet…
Title: Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Summary (B&N.com): When Alcatraz and Grandpa Smedry make a pilgrimage to the Free Kingdom city of Crystallia, the Smedry home base, Alcatraz is shocked to see that he is, in fact, a legend. When he was a baby he was stolen by the Evil Librarians, and his mother, a Librarian herself, was behind the whole scheme. Now, with his estranged father, who is acting indeed strange, Bastille, who has been stripped of her armor, and Grandpa Smedry, who is, as always, late to everything (that's his Talent), Alcatraz tries to save a city under siege. From who? Why, the Librarians of course!

My Review: This series reminds me a lot of the Series of Unfortunate Events, not so much because of the plot, but the style and my attitude while reading it. If you’re a fan of that series then you know that the author has the tendency to break in to the storyline to explain things. In the Alcatraz series, this happens as well but after the first book I had the urge to strangle him every time he interrupted no matter how funny his inputs were. To me, the series would be better if the author would have stayed within the plot more in the later books. I found myself wandering away from what was happening in the story and that’s sad because it’s a very interesting plot, even if it is a little more for younger kids than for teens.

I recommend you read the first two books in the series first if you are thinking of reading this installment.

Click these links to see my review of the first two books in the series...

(EDIT: I'm classifying this as both YA and Children's Lit because I can't decided which it is)

0 comments: